Saturday, January 11, 2014

Vietnam Now

Actually that is the title of a most excellent book with the same title by David Lamb, who was a reporter for the the LA Times during the Vietnam war and who returned to live in Hanoi in 1997 to cover the peace.

I highly recommend the book as one that provides an overarching perspective of Vietnam, of those countries who have tried for hundreds, if not thousands, of years to overtake her, all the while David Lamb creates a personal relationship for the reader with individuals and families who survived and thrived those who attempted to control and oppress her. Vietnam Now is the story of healing and reconciliation.

I came of age in the '60's, but never was a part of either the war or anti-war efforts. What I did know was that I would, at some point, need to come to Vietnam for my own healing and reconciliation. 

The time to come is now, and I will come with Kirk bringing my Bike Friday, folding bike, to tour Hanoi, ride with a tour company, Pedal Tours, from Hue to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City, and visit for a couple of days in Ankgor Wat.

No comments: