Saturday, July 20, 2013

Latitude 61

Michelle, Joyce, and Barry readying to leave on a dinner ride beginning at 6:00 p.m.

Car loaded with 2 bents and a tandem to the beginning of our dinner bike ride

Michelle after our dinner ride at 10:00 p.m. Notice how light it is!!

Little did we know but Michelle and I both live at Latitude 32, only 7 minutes apart, she in Jackson, MS, I in Tucson, AZ. And now we find ourselves at Latitude 61 in Anchorage, 63 when we were in Denali.

The most striking difference between 32 and 61 in July is, you guessed it, the sun that seems not to sleep: 18-1/2 hrs of daylight down from 19 hours earlier in the month. 

Barry and Joyce live in a condo development; it's hard to be quiet when you come home from an exciting bike ride at 11:00 p.m. and it's as bright as 11:00 a.m. I had to be reminded more than once to tone it down.

The second most striking difference between 32 and 61 is the average daily high temperature: 100 Tucson; 91 Jackson; and 67 Anchorage. Rain is prevalent in Alaska in July, too; so much so that I sent such a large box of foul weather gear ahead of me to Barry and Joyce's that it cost me $35 by USPS. I think I used everything from my box save the chemical hand and foot warmers.




No comments: