Friday, July 19, 2013

It's Hard To Imagine...

How we functioned without technology.

I remember in high school and college (the '60s) we were told the next "age" would be the information age. I couldn't imagine what that meant. 

We were told that there would, one day, we would actually be able to see the person we were talking to on the phone, visual phone calls I think we called them. Growing up without even a TV in the house  imagining answering the phone and have someone see me in my underwear was disconcerting to say the least.

We were told that phones would soon have a # and * key and that all kinds of functions could be accessed using those little smart keys. 

But it seemed that decades went by and we still used card catalogs at the library, my phone was still black with no smart keys and a long cord attached to it, and my parents didn't get a TV until 1968 to watch Nixon win the election. 

But somewhere along the way technology happened and Michelle and I planned our Alaskan Adventure using Google Drive, email, Skype, PayPal, Text, and occasionally an old fashioned telephone call, on our respective iPhones. 

The Result: our itinerary was complete by mid-January replete with hotel, plane, rail, ferry, rental car and Fireweed reservations. 

Barry and Joyce were firm that all such needed to be locked in solid as early as January because Alaska, they said, is not like the lower 48 where planes, trains, automobiles, and hotels are suffocatingly abundant. 


No comments: