Monday, May 09, 2011

GLR 200k


The Great Lakes Randonneur’s 200k (GLR) was my 2011 ‘debut’ organized ride on my new-to-me Bacchetta Ti Aero and was it a successful, joyful ride!

The Super 8 in Delavan, WI is GLR start-finish headquarters. Compared to true Ultracyclists I’m just a dabbler in the margins, but then I got started in this this long distance stuff only about five years ago at age 60. Reflecting on my first 200k with GLR in 2007 I knew no other riders. Four years later I knew about a third of the 25-30 riders whose fingers were crossed for “decent” April midwest weather. Indeed we were blessed by a brief respite from the endless rains of April. The wind, however, didn’t let us forget it was still in charge. The good news was that we got the 25-30 mph head and cross winds over with in the first 100 miles. The last 30 miles were then full of tailwind sweetness.

I had visions of riding some miles with Jeff Rogers, my nearly-next-door-riding buddy, and Bettina Cuneo,a fellow Vision Quest member. But the next day was Easter and Kirk (my husband) and I were to join our daughter and her family for a pre-Easter dinner in Algonquin, IL at 5:30. That meant I had to complete the ride by 4:00, be in the car by 4:30 to be at dinner by 5:30. So, a steady pace was the operative which meant I really didn’t share any miles with Jeff or Bettina. :-(

But, an unexpected joy was the appearance of Scott Christopherson, riding a Volae, appeared by my side at about mile 7. Usually the way these side-by-sides work out is you say howdy-do and after less than 5 minutes you both realize that your paces/riding styles are not matched and one of you pulls ahead and out of sight. But not so with Scott. We rode and rode and rode together ending up riding the next 120 miles together pulling, pushing, and challenging each other along the way.

Scott was worth his weight in proverbial gold when at mile 71 I flatted. The sodden pavement from 2 weeks of rain, and especially from the pouring the night before, cursed many riders with flats. My 36 mm valve stem on my spare tube was too short for my slightly aeroed Velocity Spartacus rims. Fortunately I had thrown in a second spare tube with a 48 mm valve stem. But, time-wise, what that meant was we got to change this tire twice.

I would have made it back to the Super 8 by 4:00 had I not had the flat; I made it to Algonquin by 6:00 instead of 5:30, and was able to share a quick bite of Easter Dinner before heading off to Easter Eve services.

My take-aways from this ride were several:
1) my network of riding buddies and contacts have greatly expanded in the last 4-5 years. I attribute most all of that connectedness to being a part of the PAC Tour family.

2) Recumbents DO, indeed, ride differently than uprights. I have known that, but when I look the camaraderie sustained over long miles that I shared with 6 other bents at the NOLA 300k in February and on this 200k with Scott, it put a huge underscore on that reality.

3) I’m rally looking forward to doing more brevets, 12-HR challenge rides and Double Centuries after we move to Arizona later this year.

No comments: