Thursday, October 14, 2010

Locusts and Wild Honey


First order of business on Isla is to introduce Tilda to “The Super”, a grocery store the likes of an Aldi + a minimal Dollar Store in the States (see her parked outside waiting patiently?). This is my first trip to Isla since my food issues have been in full bloom. I had low expectations but left with lower results: an avocado, powdered soy milk, filtered water, and a bag of rice which, once we returned to our villa, I realized I would not be cooking after all since rice cooked from scratch in the microwave wouldn’t be happening, especially since the largest available cooking container held only 6 ounces.

My Starbucks-style Tea, Steamed Soy Misto looks and tastes quite a bit different with powdered Soya Leche. I’d brought Stevia from home, but forgot my honey packets cached from Starbucks overage. Back to the Super, Tilda and I for honey, or miel as it’s known in Spanish. First they thought I wanted money from the cash station, then they thought I was using a term of endearment (I guess Honey is universal), and then finally the answer: “No Miel at the Super.”

I met Kirk for lunch after my unsuccessful honey trip to the Super. Along the way we asked a local resident for directions and fell to talking about Miel. He had a half liter of the unprocessed pure liquid gold, straight from the bees of the Yucatan. His half liter cost him 200 pesos, about $20 USD; we gave him 50 pesos for the 2 oz left in his travel bottle.

I don’t know how people with dietary limitations make it in places like Isla; just really don’t know. My solution has been to buy an order of rice, potatoes, plantains, and save some of my dinner entree for breakfast. Then, hunt and peck through restaurants and menus one day at a time, ODAT, for lunch and dinner.

No comments: