Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saison Accompli

To each his own humor
Who woulda thunk mosquitoes would be worth a Nature Center?
Tis the season
Carved from a Cottonwood Tree
Glorious sunrise leaving Stevens Point for a 139 mile day

The Ferry Tour was, indeed, the capstone of my 2010 riding season.

I didn’t set out for it to be about “putting-it-all-together” about integration; but that’s what it turned out to be.

I finished the PAC Tour transcontinental in 2009 and the 2009 riding season broken and doubting, certain that my years had caught up with me and I could expect only a progressively sinking spiral of physical resources.

With low expectations I entered the off season without a lot of enthusiasm. Out of practiced discipline I just kept doing what I hoped would be the next right thing, whatever that really meant.

First it was rotator cuff surgery in December, then encouraging performance at Vision Quest Coaching in the computrainer lab, then multiple bike trips out of the winter and into the warm, then Bikram Yoga to improve my flexibility and balance, then the watershed discovery that I was allergic to an ingredient in the Hammer product I was using to fuel on the bike, then Pilates to strengthen my core, and then new orthotics to support my biomechanics toe to head.

By the time the 2010 riding season launched I seemed to have youthened 10 years: much pleasure challenging the glacial hills of Madison; successful fueling with a new potion in my water bottles, sharing destinations with Kirk, and solo, two and three-day rides of 120-150 miles per day.

And so, it came to be that The Ferry Tour was a triumphant fanfare celebrating the gift of wholeness in strength, balance, fullness of belly, riding friends here and there wherever I roam with whom to share some miles, the confidence and competence to solo navigate the miles far from home, and the joy of beating the sinking sun by eight minutes as day turned into night on the 6th day.

No comments: