Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 25_July 29-->Livingston, AL

Route
The weather report forecasted yet another day of storms and rain. It did, indeed, start out that way, but by late morning the rain had stopped and the mug of muggy Mississippi prevailed. My camera was double bagged in zip lock baggies so inaccessible for pix. I did snag some pix from Melissa's FaceBook that capture the sog of the day quite well.
Rainy morning
Another rainy day
Cycling in the elements is about managing fluids, electrolytes, sufficient fuel, (and the right kind of fuel), and heat and cold. Just two days ago I was wearing and ice sock trying to stay cool in the 105 degree heat with the humidity about the same. Yesterday and today it's been about trying to stay warm enough in the rain. Staying dry is out of the question. But rain jackets can help deflect painful rain drops or hail and help keep some heat in if the temperature drops.

On my recumbent I'm much closer to the ground than the uprights

me7
so am much more likely to get a direct hit from the spray of the 18 wheelers. That was certainly the case today from the logging trucks and those carrying chickens to slaughter. I was poignantly reminded of the illustration in Barbara Brown Taylor's An Altar In The World: A Geography of Faith in which she found herself following a chicken truck in North Georgia; the chickens packed in crates with a total absence of compassion for their lives or their exposure to the elements, be it wind, rain, heat, or freezing cold. Their feathers flew through the open wires in their crates and stuck to her windshield. And from all of that she was humbled at the sacrifice that the chickens were making that she might live. She didn't stop eating chicken, but her grace of thanks before eating took on a deeper meaning. Having no windshield on my bike, my body absorbed their feathers along with the spray of many 18 wheels.

Dinner tonight was a Chicken Salad from Subway from the Chevron Station feet from the motel. I gave thanks to the chickens who sacrificed much.

(As I write at 8:00 p.m., there is a raging lightning/thunderstorm dropping enough rain to amount to 2" in an hour if it continues to rain that long. Am thankful I'm inside.)

2 comments:

Don McCrary said...

Hey, Susan! It doesn't seem that long ago you visited us for lunch at the Haze. Now you are in my home state--taking the long way there by way of Oregon. I've been following your blog with its grace-filled and pithy observations of our America. Have a great rest-of-the-trip. Blessings! Don

Susan said...

Thanks for following me, Don. Yes, this has certainly been a much different trip than the first. Learning a lot about being humbled, asking for help, and giving thanks. I hope those lessons will help carry me gracefully into the next chapter of my life.