Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 17_July 21-->Weatherford, OK

Weatherford route
Route from Shamrock, Tx-->Weatherford, OK

Doug, Greg, and Jenine at Route 66 museum Clinton, OK
We captured our 7th state at mile 15.

On paper today's journey should have been an easy one: 105 miles, only 2,500' of climbing, and two Route 66 Museum stops, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. It turned out to be anything but easy, at least for me.

First, my legs just had no energy, very sluggish. I tried to hang on to the wheels of Franz, Ellie, Melissa, and Jonathan. I did for the first 25 miles to Erick, OK where we paused briefly to capture the lore of the town in a photo.
Route 66 icon_Erick
Harley and Annabelle's
After the photo op I couldn't hang on any longer and fell off the rear leaving me to battle the 30 mph head wind by myself. For some reason I was feeling particularly limbic today (emotional) so took being dropped quite personally. By the time I reached the 2nd rest stop at mile 54 I had nothing left, physically or emotionally, so opted to SAG to lunch, 18 miles up the road.

I did revisit the National Route 66 Museum in Elk City, at mile 54. They capture the "stuff" that made up the lifestyle of the 1940's, 50's and 60's, oh so well. Would love to be able to spend a couple of hours savoring. After all, those are my formative decades.

National Route 66 museum_Elk City OK
Clinton Route 66 museum
Kicks on Route 66
OK's Mother Road
Oklahoma's piece of The Mother Road

The SAG plus lunch brought some life to my legs, but not my spirit. Rode alone to Weatherford, home of Astromaut Thomas Stafford and literally hundreds of windmills. Each of those windmill blades is probably 90' long, each windmill costs in the neighborhood of $1 million. In these parts it is common to be passed by a truck bearing the Oversize Load warning carrying one windmill blade.
Astronaut Thomas Stafford
hundreds of windmills in weatherford
For the first time on this Tour I forgot to bring my computer in to my room--left it in the motel truck. I considered it a good accident that allowed me to go to bed early and hopefully rest my body and my spirit.

No comments: