Monday, September 08, 2008

First Mechanical



I did my quick, nightly bike check before retiring for a planned 7:00 a.m. start on Friday, August 29th, Chautauqua to Portageville, NY.

Ooops, my rear brakes were rubbing the rim. Seemed like maybe a broken/frayed cable issue. Tried to replace the cable, but my wire cutters had been shipped to Barb’s house in NH and Fred’s were nowhere to be found.

Plan B: Barb and I would drive to Jamestown, 15-20 miles in the opposite direction of needed travel, to the bike shop at the time it opened. It should be a rapid fix and she’d advance me forward up the road 40-50 miles.

Not a quick fix. The sous-mechanic thought it was a fatigued spring in the brake lever. He messed with it, messed with the cable housing feeding into the rear brake calipers, and hammered on the spring in the caliper. After all of that the brake pads did not rub. Seemed to be a good thing. It’s 1:00 p.m.

Barb wanted to go to the Roger Tory Peterson Museum, also in Jamestown, Peterson’s boyhood home, which we did. Thoroughly enjoyable. But now it’s 2:30, we’re lunch-less, I’m beginning to get crabby from hunger, and I’m 7 ½ hours behind schedule. Fish soup in Jamestown was quite good, but after averaging 100+ miles per day for 6 days, I’m into some volume and the restaurant was into portion control. I finished still in a grazing mode looking for more. Glad for nutrition bars to fill in the empty hole.

3:30 p.m. and we’re ready to start the day. Hmmm. Seems best to call this a rest day; SAG to Portageville, catch up with Barb (we haven’t seen one another for 5-6 years), and have some needed discussions about how we would team up, communicate, and assure that each of our daily needs and some of our daily wants would be met on this Tour, which Barb dubbed long ago as ONYA (Our New York Adventure). Love acronyms so that worked, but for me this would be a 7 state adventure—IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, MA, and NH.

Pix: Car loaded for bear on the way to the Jamestown Bike Shop and the Roger Tory Peterson Museum

No comments: