Saturday, November 10, 2007

Beta Volae!

When I felt the right edge of the Volae seat back ridging my spine bones, I thought it was me. I'm just not sitting straight. When my right leg kept swiping the steering column, I thought it was me, or maybe I had just not noticed that the steering column was a little off and just needed to be centered up.

But when I got home and dropped the kickstand and it wouldn't support the bike, I thought: "Well, it's not me. It's the bike! But what is it about the bike?? Then I saw. The rear half of the frame had rotated 15-20 degrees to the left! YIKES. How do you ride across the country on a trick bike??

Talked to the good folks at the Hostel Shoppe the next day. Neither they nor I knew I would be a beta tester, but twas true. So, a new frame is in the making for me with an added stop bolt, akin to something Vision had used successfully on some of their recumbents. The downside? Well, it will take 6 weeks to ready the new frame. The upside? That's easy. A problem solved (hopefully) and some cement to help hold my current frame solid while I wait for the new one.

The moral of this story? If you're planning some long distance cycling and you buy a new bike, make sure you have enough cush time in case your frame twists, or something akin to that. :)

No comments: