Monday, October 08, 2007

Riding Cochise
















This year's riding challenge is the Cochise Classic's 252 mile, one-day ride. October 13th about 20 ultramarathon cycling souls will toe the start line in Douglas, AZ at 2:00 a.m.

This is an unsupported ride, meaning it's a BYOC, (Bring Your Own Crew). Bryan and Daniel will crew for me, each taking time off work, each giving up a full night's sleep to carry water and shout words of encouragement as I try complete the 252 miles in 16 hours. Mule Pass, in Bisbee, will be ascended and descended in the dark, somewhwere about 3:30 a.m. I am a fearful descender even in the light. What am I doing??? I have borrowed some pretty fancy lights from my ultra cycling friends, so that will help a bunch.

Since January I've ridden over 10, 000 miles; since March I've ridden 25 rides of 100 miles or greater. Thirteen rides were over 125 miles in length, including a couple of 150's, a 175, a 185, and a 200. I've done what I can do to ready myself. What remains are the factors I can't control, like wind, heat (forecasted to be 90 degrees), mechanicals, tumbles, and tumbleweed. Whatever will be will be and a good time will be had by all.

No comments: