Monday, October 15, 2007

Bisbee Afterword


We returned to bed at 5:30 a.m. to arise for the second time that day, October 13th, at 8:30. I was full of a swirl of relief, guilt, disappointment, a twinge of failure, and lots of vulnerability. Tears came easily and often. I talked to Kirk who, as always, was hugely supportive and in no way condemning of my foiled venture.

We pulled the rider numbers off the support vehicle, got a refund from Motel 6 for the unused 2nd night, and headed west on AZ 80 for Bisbee and breakfast after which Bryan and I tour-walked Bisbee while Daniel graded papers at a local coffee shoppe.

We arrived at home in Tucson about 2:15 p.m., unloaded the support vehicle and unpacked all the supply boxes, returned the rental car to the airport, and we all went to dinner: Bryan, Daniel, Rachel, Sivana, Ken, and Melissa. We left The Red Sky about 8:15, probably the time I would have gotten to the finish in Douglas, had I been healthy when I reached the top of Mule Pass.

My 2007 riding season has now come to a close. Now is the time to recover and do some specific training for the 2008 season that will officially begin with PAC Desert Camp, in AZ in February.

No comments: