Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Garminized

After my Florida solo, self-contained expedition with maps from local 7-11's I decided never again. Thanks to Tom, a Garmin aficionado, I, too, am now Garminized. I got the 76CSx and am in the process of trying to get the 300K Brevet route loaded before I go to Desert Camp March 3rd. It'll be good practice for loading the 200K Brevet and our other daily desert routes.

I'll be riding Week 2 of PAC Tour's 7 weeks in the desert. . Week 2 is Coaching Week chosen because I can ride a 200K Brevet on Wednesday and a 300K on Saturday after our return to Tucson after having ridden out of Sierra Vista for the week. The daily mileage is modest (60-85) which is just about right given that I, and probably many other riders, have been cooped up indoors on our trainers for the last 4-6 weeks due to day-after-day of sub-zeros and now blankets of snow.

I'll be taking both the Lightning P-38 and the Sat'R Day. I've been looking forward to seeing what the Sat'R Day can do on back-to-back-to-back days plus some elevation and and climbs. But the seat issues encountered in Florida haven't been resolved yet. Rolf at the Hostel Shoppe in Stevens Point, WI and Dave at Bike Friday are working on a fix, but it won't be ready for Desert Camp. So, I plan to switch bikes as needed to avoid nuking my back and butt on an ill-fitted seat.

I mailed off a 53 pound box of stuff to my son, Daniel, who lives in Tucson--bike stuff, professional stuff, and just plain stuff. Since I'll be in Tucson for three weeks I'll hub at his house as I move between training at The Meadows , business development with several Arizona-based treatment centers, launching some professional writing projects, and adding to my bentwanterding .

If you're ever in Tucson be sure to check out Daniel's band that plays regularly at cool Tucson venues.

No comments: