Saturday, September 16, 2006

Day 7 Springerville, AZ-->Socorro, NM

My cold was getting the best of me plus I got only 3 hours of sleep last night so I opted to ride in the SAG van to the lunch stop at mile 92. Kirk reminded me of the importance of sabboth so it was easier to make the decision to leap frog forward by van. By lunch I was feeling better so I rode the last 64 miles into Socorro.

I rode with Sylvia and Sheila from lunch in which was an easy ride--strong tail wind and a lot of downhill. We passed a VLA, yes that's its name, an acronmyn for Very Large Array. There are probably 28-30 satellite dishes all clustered out there some talking, some receiving. Each is on its own railroad track so someone can position it wherever they need it to be. I have a couple of pictures which don't do the VLA justice, but maybe you can get the idea.

Socorro is back in desert land so it was hot when we got in. I even got sunburned on my hamstrings from the rays radiating off the pavement! (Remember, I'm on a recumbent so my hammies are basically facing downward. Interesting).

Tomorrow we're off to Ruidoso, NM. The route card belies the difficulty, so I'm told. 105 miles and 6,500' of climbing, but they say it's steep. One hill at a time is the name of the game.

No comments: