Thursday, September 21, 2006

Day 12 Amarillo, TX-->Erick, OK

Day 12 Amarillo, TXà Erick, OK
Departure: 7:34 a.m.
Arrival: 3:00 p.m.
117 miles
1,500’ climbing
Departure Temp: 57, real feel 40
Arrival Temp:

We’re on Central Time now, home time for me. Since we’re on the western edge of the time zone the sun didn’t come up until 7:34, hence the later start.

We awoke to unbelievable winds. The local stations were predicting steady winds in the 30’s with gusts up to 50-60. I was really nervous not sure how in the world I could fight those winds for 117 miles if they were head winds. Well, the wind gods prevailed and it was a tailwind for the most part. So it was another 117 miles at a 20 mph average. Quite an artifact, though. I was in my large chain ring most of the time, coasting often.

One of the things I learned about strong winds is it is important to point downwind when you pee along side of the road. Probably more than you wanted to know, but hey, it was an important learning.

Much of our route today was on Historic Route 66. Some fun cafes and museums along the way, which I didn’t take the time to enjoy. My loss. Of course many of the little towns that thrived pre I-40 are now nearly ghosted. One such town is Texola, OK. The reported population in 2000 was 47. I can’t even imagine what growing up in such a place would be like.
Tomorrow we’re off to Hinton, OK. It is so tiny there is no restaurant for us to eat at so PAC will be barbecuing for us.

2 comments:

Sarah W. said...

I hope it's not the Road Kill BBQ Susan is fixing for you in Hinton? Just kidding, the food is always good on PAC Tour.
Cary Way
Murfreesboro, Tn (PAC Tour veteran)who wishes he was riding with you all. Keep posting as look forward to each days report.

Susan said...

PAC food is great!. Susan and her team do a fantastic job, as you know.